Sunday 24 March 2013

Review: The Silver Linings Playbook - Matthew Quick



There are not a lot of times where I don't know what to think about a book I have read. I either love them or hate them. If I hate them, then I usually don't finish them.

The Silver Linings Playbook was one of those books where you are stuck right in the middle.
I didn't know whether to stop reading it because I just wasn't getting it, or if I should just continue on because I wanted to know what happened?

Due to the recent interest in the novel, which was inevitable when the movie adaption was released recently with Bradley Cooper and Jennifer Lawrence playing the starring roles...

Actually, one moment. Can we just talk about how amazing Jennifer Lawrence is? I wasn't that enamoured by her in The Hunger Games, but after watching some of her interviews it is safe to say she is the best. Funny, down to earth and does not take herself too seriously. Oh, and she won an Oscar for Best Actress at age 23...no biggie.

Back to the review...This interest encouraged me to read the book, and having seen other people's reactions to it I thought it would be a great read.

I am not sure whether I was reading it differently from others, but I found the main characters to be extremely annoying.
Perhaps this was a tactic used by quick, to return the adults back to child like personalities to enhance their vulnerability?

Not knowing much about mental health, which is the main subject of the novel, I was not able to relate to the characters, and their actions confused me. It did however make me think about how people react to those with mental health issues, which could only be a good thing.

I loved the use of dancing to 'dance away depression'. I only wish it was a larger part of the story. The story just seemed so rushed and I did want to know more about the characters.

Overall the book was interesting, however annoying the characters were. I am definitely going to watch the film, but I've heard that it's different from the book. Bradley Cooper is in it, so even if I hate the film it will be lovely watching him. hahaha.

I would give it a 3/5.

Have you read The Silver Linings Playbook? What did you think?

Happy Reading

Emma

No comments:

Post a Comment