Friday 24 January 2014

Book Review: The Etymologicon by Mark Forsyth

Did you know that the sections of the Bible were named after testicles?
or that people inject sausage poison into their faces to look better?



If you knew these facts then you have obviously read the fantastic The Etymologicon by Mark Forsyth.

Having studied linguistics for two years I have become increasingly interested in the history and origin of words, and when I saw this book I knew it was going to be right up my street.

It was both hilarious and utterly informant. Mark's use of tongue in cheek language makes it such a user friendly read. Even the most anti-learning person would be enthralled by this delightful book. You actually learn some mind blowing facts that, one time in your life, might become very useful. Definitely some quotable anecdotes perfect for the dinner table to impress some of your learned friends.

I read this on my Kindle, but I definitely will be purchasing a hard copy. It's a book to last the years and definitely one to go back to. Mark Forsyth has another book called The Horologicon which I have yet to read, but I am aware that there is a "box set" of the two books. It is on my purchase late.

This book is absolutely deserves a 5 star rating. It's would be a great gift for anyone studying English or Linguistics.

Have you read The Etymologicon? What was your favourite word meaning?

Emma

No comments:

Post a Comment