Monday 1 July 2013

Book Review: Brooklyn Girls - Gemma Burgess



I was lucky to be sent this book by the publisher after I saw Gemma's tweet asking for people who would be interested in reviewing it.
As it was my first encounter with the New Adult genre I was excited to get started and to see what I thought about this controversial type of books.

There seems to be a love/hate relationship about NA. I presume those who read YA might not be interested in the type of topics that would be involved with New Adult, and vice versa.


Based in Manhattan Brooklyn Girls tells the story of a group of friends, who having just graduated from college (university!) have to deal with the new and scary adult world. It's not as easy as they thought it would be. The first book focuses on Pia, and the next book will focus on another member of the book.  

Brooklyn Girls is realistic in one sense, and quite fictional in the other. Although I can relate to the feelings and emotions of Pia and her friends, all of the crazy and scary things that happen to her seem to vanish in the blink of an eye, everything seems to go right in the end. Which is not always the case in real life.

It's an enjoyable and quick read, although not normally the type of book I would normally pick up. I would recommend it as a great beach/summer read.

It's on sale from Thursday 4th July.

Happy Reading!

Emma

No comments:

Post a Comment