Wednesday 1 August 2012

Emma Reads Potter.

Hello Readers,

The next sentence you read may come as a shock to you. You have been warned in advance.

I have not read the Harry Potter series.

-cue fainting, gasping and splutters.-

I guess it all boils down to this. When J.K. Rowling first came out with the series I would have been 10, perhaps 11, years old. Back then I was not into books, reading or literature so I guess I just never got sucked into it. As the years went on, and the other books were released, the phenomenon never grabbed me in a way in which it encouraged me to start reading the books. Perhaps I was just stubborn, and didn't want to be part of the growing fandom. Or maybe the story did not interest me.

Every time I mention the fact that I am not indeed a fan of the series, nor have I read the books, it always comes with the same reply. "what?...are you mad?" Especially in the USA. You guys are crazy for the HP over there, and think that every one and their mother has read the books. Which may be true, as the percentage of people who have not read the series to that of those who have is ever shrinking.

I have decided to change this though.
I am going to read the series and review each book individually. I have seen all the movies, so I will try and look at the literature rather than the movie story. I want to provide a "non-fan" perspective of the books, and review them as impartially as possible. It is easy for fans to be all obsessive and protective over their story, so hopefully I can share my views in a way that is both interesting and thought provoking.

I'm nearly finished Harry Potter and The Philosopher's (known as the Sorcerer's in the USA I am told) Stone, so expect a full review in the next coming days.

Happy Reading!

Emma

No comments:

Post a Comment