Monday 3 June 2013

Book Review: Death Comes to Pemberley - P.D. James



This book is perfect if you love Jane Austen and Pride and Prejudice in particular. 
Unfortunately I wouldn't be classed as a fan of either.
I still enjoyed this book thoroughly, however.
Having read Pride and Prejudice as well as seeing the movie, it was a great transition and it was as if Jane herself had written a sequel. 

Every time someone asked what I was reading, and saw the author, exclaimed that they had heard of P.D. James. Must admit, I had not. 
I was promptly told that some of her work had been made into TV shows, which explained why people recognised the name.

It leads on from the marriage of Elizabeth and Darcy (Spoiler if you haven't read P&P) as well as her sisters, and centres around a gruesome murder that occurs on the Darcy's land. Suspicions are high, confusion is in abundance and the story goes somewhere you never thought it would. It keeps you guessing and thinking right until the end.

Death Comes to Pemberley successfully continues the world famous story of Pride and Prejudice and the relationships between the characters are 100% accurate.
Actually, we see different sides to the beloved characters and it makes you think about P&P in a different light. What we we thought about certain people after reading Pride and Prejudice may not be how you feel once you read Death Comes to Pemberley.

After reading this I am not sure if I would read any more of P.D. James' work, crime fiction is not really my cup of tea. I cannot fault her talent, and this book was highly entertaining, but give me some romance/comedy any day.

Happy Reading.
Emma. 


No comments:

Post a Comment